Please note that the internship is now filled and applications are no longer accepted.
HURIDOCS (Human Rights Information and Documentation Systems, International) is seeking a Communications Intern to start 16 October 2017 (negotiable). This internship can work from our office in Geneva, or remotely online from anywhere. The duration of this internship is 6 months and we expect the intern to work approximately 30 hours per week, but both the duration and the schedule are negotiable.
The Communications Intern will work remotely with the Community Knowledge Manager, as well as other team members to perform the duties listed below.
- Conduct research on best practices and technology reviews related to human rights information management and documentation
- Assist in the planning and implementation of the next iteration of HURIDOCS manuals as web content
- Prepare knowledge articles for publication on website
- Assist in creating videos and other documentation that explain our work and impact
- Assist in creating instructional videos and other resources for our tools (OpenevSys, Casebox, Uwazi)
- Participate in weekly HURIDOCS team meetings
- Provide administrative support to staff on an as-needed basis
All applicants must have completed at least three years of undergraduate studies, although graduate students are preferred. Fluency in English is required.
Strong candidates will also demonstrate:
- knowledge and interest in information management and technology,
- experience working on external communications for an NGO, or journalism,
- excellent research and writing skills, and
- interest in human rights advocacy.
A modest monthly stipend of 700 Euro per month is available for eligible interns. This amount is based on 30 hours per week of work.
How to apply
If interested, please email a cover letter, resume, list of one or more references, and a brief communications-related sample of your work (e.g. social media campaign, newsletter, video, blog post) to firstname.lastname@example.org using subject line “Communications internship”. The deadline for applying has been extended to Friday, 8 September 2017.
Human Rights Information and Documentation Systems (HURIDOCS) is an international NGO consisting of 18 staff working from Ecuador, Germany, Kenya, Spain, Sweden, USA, and its headquarter is in Geneva, Switzerland. Since its establishment in 1982, the focus has been to provide advice and assistance to human rights organisations in developing best practices for their documentation work, as well as providing digital solutions for the management and analysis of their human rights information.
We believe in the power of information, and that reliable and valuable information is based on relevant, accurate and timely data. The collection and management of such information is central for the human rights organisations to advocate more effectively for their causes. To support human rights organisations in this work, we draw on knowledge and expertise from diverse fields such as technology, human rights advocacy, information science, library science, communication and human rights law.
At this point in time we have 50+ partners in different regions of the world, such as Africa, Asia, Asia-Pacific, former Soviet Union, Europe, Latin America, Middle East and North Africa and North America and we expect the number of partners to grow in the coming years.