HURIDOCS (Human Rights Information and Documentation Systems, International) is seeking a new Executive Director effective immediately.
HURIDOCS is an international NGO based in Geneva, Switzerland. Since its establishment in 1982, its focus has been to provide advice and assistance to human rights organisations in developing best practices for their documentation work, as well as providing digital solutions for the management and analysis of their human rights information.
We believe in the power of information, and that reliable and valuable information is based on relevant, accurate and timely data. The collection and management of such information is central for the human rights organisations to more effectively advocate for their causes. To support human rights organisations in this work, we draw on knowledge and expertise from diverse fields such as technology, human rights advocacy, information science, library science, communication and human rights law.
At this point in time we have 50+ partners in different regions of the world, such as Africa, Asia, Asia-Pacific, former Soviet Union, Europe, Latin America, Middle East and North Africa and North America and we expect the number of partners to grow in the coming years.
HURIDOCS employs 17 staff members with a total of 13 full time positions. Our head office is in Geneva, but our team is truly international, with many staff members operating remotely.
- A willingness to embrace new challenges with HURIDOCS’ partners while ensuring continuity and quality in our work and products.
- Some travelling will be required, but Geneva will be the base for the most part of the working time.
- An open management style, with regular contact and ongoing communication and dialogue with all staff members regardless of their physical location.
- Lead strategic planning and implementation of strategy
- General management of HURIDOCS resources, including financial and human resources
- Liaising with and reporting to the Chair and Board
- Representing HURIDOCS to the human rights community, and to the public at large
- Maintaining good relationships with partners and funders
- Maintaining knowledge of the needs in relation to information and documentation of organisations in the human rights space, as well as an understanding of technology trends and directions from a management perspective
- Organisational development, including team building
- Overall supervision and guidance of the software development process
- Identifying and understanding the needs of the organisations HURIDOCS serves, and available opportunities
- Cultivating the ground for HURIDOCS‘ powerhouses’ – organisations in different regions to serve as focal points for HURIDOCS’ human rights solutions in different regions of the world
- University education: Preferably at least a master’s degree in a discipline relating to the work of HURIDOCS, or its equivalent in a relevant field
- A background in the Human Rights environment and knowledge of how legal systems operate is highly desirable
- An ability to communicate about complex topics in engaging ways
- Proven ability to raise funds and to secure strategic relationships with key actors (Required)
- Strong communications, facilitation and presentation skills, and the ability to manage communications specialists so that HURIDOCS’ story is told effectively (Desired)
- Fluency in both written and spoken English and proficiency in another language (Required)
- Familiarity with different types of technology and their application in a human rights context (Required)
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to manage a diverse international and multicultural workplace (Required)
- Ability to lead negotiations (Required)
- Experience in the successful management of a non-profit organisation (Required)
- At least 5 years experience in the human rights field (Strongly desired)
We are aiming at having our new Executive Director in place in Geneva in January 2017. Visit our website www.huridocs.org for more information. If you have any specific questions you may contact HURIDOCS Board Member Douglas Arellanes at firstname.lastname@example.org. Your application and CV should be sent to email@example.com no later than 15 October 2016.
Do you know a good candidate for this job? Please share this with that person and help us spread the word!